Tuesday, May 24, 2005

breaking and entering...

Well...just thought i'd vent a little on being broken into...and broken. If nothing else, let this be a lesson to everyone reading...lock your stuff up, make back-ups, write stuff down, take pictures, lock your doors and for God's sake...don't let the valet peeps get ahold of your precious keys for any reason!!
I came home one night, was about to take out my stinky garbage when I noticed something in my living room out of place...I thought to myself, self...did you move that earlier when you got a DVD out of the drawer? I thought I might have been losing my marbles and just plain forgot that I was the one who opened the drawer. But then I got that uneasy, someone could be in my house, oh dear lord someone was DEFINITELY in and could still be in, my house. I backed out slowly, cell in hand, and called a neighbor.
Some very very bad men entered my home...and they just HAD to be men cuz if it'd been a chick, they would've stolen my stylish purses and fancy shmancy clothes rather than just rumage through them! Boys. They broke in...stole my laptops...yes, LAPTOPS...my digi camera, my Isight, my DVD's etc...the worst part was that they took all things sparkly, all things close to my heart like family silver with the initials of deceased relatives on it...things that can't possibly be replaced. They broke in. They left me feeling violated, broken.
It's creepy to walk outside and know that someone had been watching my every move, seeing when I left, seeing which lock I locked on which door, noting which lights were left on, left off. I glance both ways now, lock everything that can possibly be locked. I jump when I hear a floorboard creek. I sleep curled in a ball on one side of the bed, the covers on the other side remain un-ruffled come morning. I feel icky. Broken.
So please dear friends...your life is precious...protect it. Write down serial numbers and photograph everything and then go lock it up securly in a box at the bank. Cuz you just never know when someone might come along and steal your life out from under you. It pays to have a part of it still kept for yourself...and to give to the Renter's Insurance folk. Self-preservation...ah...repeat that to yourself. Only good thing about having your life topsy-turvied is that you become stronger, more cynical in a good way and you realize that hey, at LEAST I am here, I didn't walk in on them...I have me and that's irreplaceable.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is a good point. I found another blonde lyric neon site that goes into even more blonde lyric neondetail.