Monday, May 09, 2005

spending your days alone...

So I got to thinking yesterday about friends...or lack there of...or perhaps if the friends I have are truly "friends" at all. Perhaps they are just people occupying a slot or two in my cell phone. I don't know...
It was Mother's Day yesterday in case you didin't know. Hope you called your mom and thanked her for giving birth to you, giving you life, raising you, putting a roof over your head, annoying you, nagging you, loving you. I did...and I did it extra early so that mummy dear didn't assume I forgot as she so nonchalantly pointed out last week. And when I spoke to her yesterday I apologized for my faux pas...and she said, "It's ok, it was your graduation day." (Got my master's...woo hoo). Then I remembered something...
"Mom, are you on crack?" I asked. "I took you out to brunch at Barney's Greengrass that day for Mother's Day! I didn't forget..."
"But you didn't wish me a Happy Mother's Day."
She IS on crack. Couldn't believe she was pissed over THAT when I know I wished her a happy Mommy's Day AND took her to a nice breakfast on MY graduation day. Sheesh...ungrateful. lol
So in an attempt to do something "fun" on 5/8/05 since I wasn't with my Mommy...thought i'd call up some friends and spend the day with them...celebrating friendship.
I was up at 7am...called three close "friends" around 10am and left multiple messages on home phones and cells to call me back. Nothing. More nothing. Couldn't call some people in fear of interupting Mommy's Day celebrations...so I took myself to lunch...alone. And then I took myself to see "The Interpreter"...alone. By 5pm...still not a return phone call. I ended up stopping by a friend's new apartment where I met with a Mommy and a Sister of one so-called "friend"...very nice, I felt like part of SOMEthing. It was cool to at least see a Mommy on Mommy's Day even IF I was on the peripheral! I offered to help out with the new apt and called a hardware store to inquire about expandable shower rods...and the funny thing was... a random guy picked up the other line while I was on hold and we engaged in a 10 minute conversation about calling our Mommy's. lol He was actually the FRIENDLIEST person I had encountered all day...a man in the plumbing department of Kuntz Hardware. Go figure.
By 9pm I had still yet to get a return call from any of said "friends." And then finally...FINALLY...I got an IM from one of them saying..."Oh, I have decided i'm in a dark place and shut everyone out...didn't feel like talking." THIS...comeing from a person who had just the day before BITCHED that her "friends" never called her back. For the LOVE of...
All we ask in life is that our "friends" communicate with us...friendship and relationships, even with our parents, are two-way streets. Perhaps you may be bummed, perhaps you may be in a 'dark place'...you should still communicate that with your friend. Just text us: ALONE...we'll get it. Or text us: can't talk now...we'll get it. Otherwise, we'll think you have gone off and fallen in a ditch...or worse yet...FORGOT about us.
Happy Mother's Day MOM...and thanks for the pep-talk Mr. Plumber, I consider you a friend.

1 comment:

pamela said...

Honey. You should have called me. I was stuck in a car on 35 for 3.5 hours and would have loved to talk. xoxoxo